AquaStitch Technical Summary
To correct cracking of a beam or slab the American Concrete Institute (ACI 224.1R-07) outlines anchor stitching as desirable to strengthen the fractured area. As with any repair, the extent and cause must be identified and addressed.
The AquaStitch technique uses specially engineered rebar stitches, anchored into solid concrete to bridge the crack and apply a compressive force over the fracture. Stability is achieved by tightening the anchor on the machined tang, applying force along the 12-inch long stitch and rebar hook. The stitches bridge the crack by extending into the unaffected areas well into solid reinforced concrete. The AS-12 is engineered to provide sufficient tension across the affected area while minimizing migration to other parts of the slab. When stitches are anchored into the rebar web cement areas, fewer loads are exerted on the weak surface substrate and are transferred into actual reinforced areas.
For a rigid, full-depth repair, epoxy is injected in the base of the crack under low pressure and the injected crack will be stronger than the adjacent concrete. If active cracks are injected, other cracks can form next to or far away from the repaired crack unless you have sufficient amounts of reinforcing crossing the crack to restrain future movements. In most cases, Aquastitch mechanical stitches provide the needed stability.
The American Concrete Institute (ACI) guide covering crack repair is available for additional information if needed. Contact AquaBond for a copy.
- Item: AquaStitch Swimming Pool Crack Repair Sysyem
- Stitch Description: Engineered anchor stitch structural system
- Installation Spacing: 1-stitch per foot of crack -typical
- Stitch Tensile Strength: 60,000 psi
- Anchor: 2 1/2 ” Custom Sleeve Type
- Horizontal Dimensions: 13-1/4” long by 1-1/4”
- Bridge Length: 12” overall length extending 6” on each side of fracture
- Hook Length: 2-1/4” wedged into concrete
- Anchor Length: 2-1/4” wedged into concrete
- Wedge Mechanism: Precision machined case hardened 1018 steel
- Bridge Material: A-706 rebar
- Niche: Saw Cut 14-1/2” long by 1-3/8” wide by approx. 1-1/2” deep